Recipient #4 Sport of Baseball
• This recipient began his love for baseball in his home country of Australia where he played until moving to Canada to pursue his baseball aspirations. Here he met his wife, decided to stay and raise a family.
• His involvement in baseball now spans more than 40 years as a player, coach, mentor, and administrator, and most recently as the current president of the Whalley Little League baseball association.
• His leadership style engages the membership to share a vision of excellence, not only for the development of the sport and related facilities, but also for the greater good of the community.
• This recipient has been instrumental in the development of improved amenities within Whalley Ball Park, such as a totally renovated indoor training facility, a new multifunction score clock and structural improvements to other assets within this storied park.
• On many summer nights and weekends, you will find him handling the most arduous of tasks, from raking the infields, to cutting the outfields, to chalking the foul lines.
• This recipient represents the true essence of community engagement and unselfish volunteerism at the grass roots level.
• His work ethic, leadership and vision are truly an inspiration to all who have come to know and respect him.
• On behalf of the City of Surrey, I would like to present this deserving award for his contributions towards the sport of “Baseball” within the city of Surrey to Gavin Burke.